Ticks and fleas are dangerous to your whole family.
It’s important to kill ticks and fleas as fast as possible because they can pose a serious risk to your dog as well as to the rest of your family.
Threats to your pet include:
- Acute discomfort: Scratching, chewing, biting and restlessness
- Flea allergy dermatitis (FAD): A common veterinary, dermatological condition1
- Anemia: A risk for young or smaller pets, or debilitated adult pets as a result of severe infestations
- Tapeworms: Spread through the ingestion of infected fleas
- Lyme disease: Bacterial infection resulting in fever and swollen joints2
- Ehrlichiosis: Blood infection transmitted by the brown dog tick3
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever: Fever, a stiff, awkward gait and the development of seizures3
- Anaplasmosis: A blood-cell infection similar to Lyme disease3
Threats to humans include:
- Allergic reaction: Often resulting in small, raised lesions called papules that can be red to purple in color. The severity depends on a person’s allergy to the bite.4
- Tapeworms (Dipylidium caninum): Generally spread through infected fleas found on both dogs and cats. While rare for adults, the ingestion of an infected flea by a child can result in a tapeworm infection.4
- Typhus: A group of infectious diseases often resulting in a sustained high fever (typhus fever), headache, delirium and red rashes. Two kinds commonly originate from flea bites:5
- Flea typhus: A typhus caused by Rickettsia felis. The cat flea is the only currently known vector for this bacterium.
- Murine typhus: A bacterial form of typhus commonly transmitted by rodent fleas but can also be transmitted by fleas found on pets.
- Plague: Rodent fleas can be carriers of bubonic plague, or Yersinia pestis. If these fleas make their way onto dogs and cats, they pose a higher risk of leaving their animal host to bite humans who come into contact with them.4
- Lyme disease: Bacterial infection resulting in rash, fatigue, joint pain and flu-like symptoms.6
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever: Symptoms include high fever, chills, muscle aches, nausea and vomiting.7
- Ehrlichiosis: Bacterial illness resulting in symptoms that include fever, headache, nausea and fatigue.8
Learn how Credelio® (lotilaner) is effective against ticks and fleas for your dog.